Department of Management
The Managing Director serves as the principal management aide to the Mayor. This includes the following duties and responsibilities:
- Supervises and evaluates the management and performance of all line executive departments and agencies;
- Assists the Mayor by supervising and coordinating the County’s annual operating budget and capital improvement program (CIP) budget preparation, submittal and systemic reviews of each department and agency in achieving the most effective expenditure of public funds.
Management departmental staff are responsible for the coordination of the following:
- ADA Coordinator – Ensures compliance with the federal requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act for the County of Maui.
- County-Wide Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Coordinator – Plans and coordinates capital improvement projects for the County.
- Special Projects CIP Coordinator – Manages and coordinates special CIP projects for the Office of Management.
- Geographic Analysis and Cartographic Services (GACS) Division – Serves as the geospatial and cartographic “service center” and Geographical Information Services training to county agencies and departments.
- Information Technology Services - Serves as the central information technology division for the County of Maui agencies and departments.
- Security - Provides direct oversight of the county-wide security program.
- Energy – Energy planning and information.
Throughout the year, we work closely with all departments to ensure that they are utilizing best practices in performance management to operate and deliver services to the public as economically and efficiently as possible. The process of performance management involves regular meetings with department leadership to review performance measurements and the decisions that have been made based on the metrics collected. Performance management is an ongoing process that involves analysis and data-driven decision making to focus on the needs of the public.
In July of 2017, we were honored with the prestigious Certificate of Achievement by the International City/County Management Association (ICMA). According to the ICMA, "Maui County is among 19 jurisdictions receiving the Certificate of Achievement, and one of 57 recognized overall." Special recognition goes to all those involved in pushing Maui County forward through this arduous but critical process.
Cost Reduction Unit
The Department of Management is proud to announce the launch of a new unit with the purpose of identifying and implementing cost saving measures throughout the County of Maui. The Cost Reduction Unit (CRU) is made up of a diverse group of employees from various different departments and levels throughout the county. The unit, established in January 2017, utilizes a framework designed to guide them in their efforts to identify possible opportunities to reduce spending and improve services. Led by Managing Director Keith Regan, the unit will initially focus on Capital Improvement Projects (CIP), departmental operations and processes, and facilities but will expand into other areas as the team moves forward.
The CRU, as part of its initial efforts, has launched an anonymous online suggestion platform to collect ideas and suggestions from employees. The CRU will eventually open up the suggestion platform to the public but will begin with internal input first.