Boards & Commissions
Boards and Commissions assist and advise departments and special groups within the County of Maui, some working more closely with various departments than others. The County of Maui is always looking for people interested in serving on a Board or Commission.
How to Apply
Although there is no monetary compensation associated with serving on a Board or Commission, your participation will provide for a better form of government. If you are interested in serving on a Board or Commission, please fill out an application form
and mail it to the Mayor's Office, 200 S. High Street, Wailuku, Hawaii 96793. Boards and Commissions Application Form
Listing of Boards, Commissions and Committees
- Affirmative Action Advisory Council
- Advises and assists the Mayor in all phases of the County's Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) program, based on federal guidelines and requirements. Also advises and assists the Mayor in reaching the County's affirmative action goals and objectives concerning race, sex, religion, disabled, etc., in employment, and to take affirmative action in correcting past discrimination.
- Animal Control Board
- To hear and determine appeals from decisions concerning dangerous dogs as set forth in sections 6.04.045 and 6.04.050, and from any order issued by an enforcement or animal control officer relating thereto.
- Board of Ethics
- Initiates, receives, hears and investigates complaints of violations of the County Ethics Code by employees and officers of the County. Initiates impeachment proceedings against elected officials and officers appointed to elective office who have been found in violation of the Code of Ethics of the County.
- Board of Variances & Appeals
- Hears and determines applications for variances from the strict application of any general plan, zoning, subdivision or building ordinances. Holds public hearing prior to ruling on a variance application and issues findings of fact and conclusions of law on decisions granting or denying variance applications.
- Board of Water Supply
- Powers, Duties and Functions The Board of Water Supply shall: 1. Review and submit to the Mayor the Department of Water Supply's request for an annual appropriation for operations and capital improvements. 2. Recommend the establishment and adjustment of rates and charges for furnishing water; such rates and charges shall be submitted to the Mayor for review and approval.
- Charter Commission
- At intervals of ten (10) years, the Mayor, with the approval of Council, shall appoint a charter commission composed of eleven members to study and review the operation of the government of the county under such amendments or new charter and to propose amendments or to draft a new charter in the manner set forth in Section 14-3 of the Charter of the County of Maui (2003).
- Civil Service Commission
- Adopts rules to carry out the provisions of the Civil Service laws of the State; appoints County Personnel Director; requests an annual appropriation for the operation of the department; hears appeals by any officer or employee aggrieved by any action taken by the Director of Personnel Services or by an appointing authority (department head); advises the Mayor and Director of Personnel Services on problems concerning personnel administration.
- Commission on Children and Youth
- Advises and assists the Mayor in all matters concerning children & youth, including child care. Also makes recommendations to the County Council on all matters relating to children and youth and children and youth programs proposed for adoption by the County Council.
- Commission on Culture and the Arts
- Objectives include: assisting the County in the preservation of the artistic and cultural heritages of all its people; promoting a community environment which provides equal and abundant opportunity for exposure to culture and the arts in all its forms; encouraging and providing equal opportunity for the development of cultural and artistic talents of the people of the County.
- Commission on Naming Streets
- The Commission on Naming Streets, Parks, and Facilities prepares a list of the names of all existing streets, parks, and facilities for the Council. Recommends names for streets, parks or facilities to the Council. Adopts rules and regulations for the conduct of its duties. Advises and assists sub-dividers who desire to name roads within a subdivision in the County.
- Commission on Person with Disabilities
- The Commission on Persons with Disabilities assists the County in rendering services to persons with disabilities
- Committee on Status of Women
- The Committee on the Status of Women develops information as the State Commission on the Status of Women requires or as the Committee deems advisable concerning the status of women within the County.
- Cost of Government Commission
- Helps the County promote economy, efficiency and improved service to the public by reviewing existing County operations and policies and making recommendations to improve them. Submits an annual report of its findings and recommendations to the Mayor and Council.
- Council on Aging
- Meets at least every other month for the purpose of advising the County Executive Office on Aging on needs of older persons, plans for helping older persons, programs that service older persons, and legislation and issues affecting older persons.
- Fire & Public Safety Commission
- Reviews the operations of the Department of Fire and Public Safety and the Civil Defense Agency. Makes recommendations for changes which may be desirable to improve performance of emergency functions and the provision of public safety services.
- General Plan Advisory Committee(GPAC)
- The role of the Maui GPAC is to provide comments, advice, and recommendations to the Planning Director on the Countywide Policy Plan and the Maui Island Plan.
- Hana Advisory Committee to Maui Planning Commission
- Advises the Maui Planning Commission on matters related to East Maui (Kailua to Kaupo) and carries out duties delegated to it by the Maui Planning Commission.
- Kula Agricultural Park Committee
- Serves as an advisory group to the County on all matters pertaining to the Kula Agricultural Park. Reviews and recommends lease rentals, lease tenure, lease restrictions, application forms, lot alignments, lot sizes and supplementary selection procedures. Participates in the lessee selection process. May recommend other regulations pertaining to the administration of the agricultural park by the Office of Economic Development. May recommend improvements to be made to the agricultural park.
- Lanai Planning Commission
- Concerned with all planning matters involving the island of Lanai. Advises the Mayor, County Council, and Planning Director in matters concerning planning programs.
- Liquor Control Adjudication Board
- The liquor control adjudication board shall hear and determine administrative complaints of the director regarding violations of the liquor control laws of the State or of rules of the liquor control commission, and impose penalties for violations thereof as may be provided by law.
- Liquor Control Commission
- The liquor control commission shall: 1. Prepare and submit a request for an annual appropriation for the operation of the department. 2. Adopt rules having the force and effect of law for the administration of liquor control in the County and to carry out provisions of the liquor control laws of the State, including, but not limited to, the fixing of liquor license fees. 3. Grant, renew or refuse applications for licenses for the manufacture, importation and sale of liquor in the County under applicable laws and regulations. 4. Have such other powers and duties as may be provided by law not in conflict with the provisions of this section.
- Maui County Arborist Committee
- The scope of the committee shall include recommendations for; a landscape planting plan in public areas throughout the county, shall be a reviewing body for any landscape planting in public parks and street beautification programs and shall recommend exceptional trees to be protected and provide appropriate protective ordinances.
- Maui County Cultural Resources Commission
- Works for the preservation of the County's historic and cultural resources through the following functions: advising and assisting federal, state and county agencies in carrying out their historic preservation responsibilities; administering the provisions of the County's historic districts and advise the Mayor, Council and County Planning Commissions on the establishment of historic districts and their regulation; and providing public information, education, training and technical assistance on national, state and county historic preservation programs.
- Maui Planning Commission
- Concerned with the area encompassing the island of Maui and the adjacent waters. Advises the Mayor, County Council, and Planning Director in matters concerning planning programs.
- Maui Redevelopment Agency
- Reviews applications for new development and renovation projects in the Wailuku Redevelopment Area authorized by Section 53-5 of the Hawaii Revised Statutes pertaining to the Urban Renewal Law.
- Molokai Planning Commission
- Concerned with the area encompassing the island of Molokai, except that portion of the area known as the Kalaupapa Settlement. Advises the Mayor, County Council, and Planning Director in matters concerning planning programs.
- Outdoor Lighting Standards Committee
- Serves as an advisory committee to the Department of Public Works and Waste Management. Receives all matters pertaining to street lighting presented to or pending before the Department of Public Works and Waste Management for investigation, survey, advice and recommendation
- Police Commission
- Prepares and submits to the Mayor a request for an annual appropriation for the operation of the department. Appoints the Police Chief. Receives, reviews and investigates charges brought forth by the public against the conduct of the department or any of its members and submits a written report of its findings and recommendations to the Chief of Police for disposition.
- Real Property Tax Review Board
- Hears all disputes between the director and any taxpayer in all cases in which appeals have been filed by a taxpayer. Holds public meetings not later than June 1st of each year and shall hear, as speedily as possible, all appeals presented for each year.
- Salary Commission
- Determines the compensation of elected officials, department heads and first deputies or first assistants of all County departments.
- Solid Waste Resource and Advisory Committee
- The Solid Waste Resource Advisory Committee's duties involve: Reviewing current operations and data to make specific recommendations for increasing efficiencies, diverting more tons, and limiting landfill risk. Building consensus among SWAC, staff, Maui policymakers, and State regulators to pursue one of a number of options that provide a healthy environment and service to the rate payer. Drafting a practical plan that is a blueprint for implementation.
- Subdivision Engineering Standards Committee
- Reviews all engineering standards and specifications relating to subdivisions which are adopted and kept on file by the Department of Public Works and Waste Management and the Department of Water Supply. Reviews proposed modifications, deletions, or additions to such existing engineering standards and specifications, and transmits the same with recommendations to the respective departments.
- Traffic Safety Council
- Advises or assists the County Council in all matters relating to traffic safety. Makes recommendations to the County Council on all traffic safety measures referred to it. Prepares and recommends traffic safety programs for adoption by the County Council.
- Urban Design Review Board
- Rules of Practice and Procedure for the Maui County Urban Design Review Board. Advises the appropriate Planning Commission on matters within the jurisdiction of the various Planning Commissions and carries out duties as delegated to it by the Planning Commissions. Reviews and advises the Planning Department on design related matters involving projects within the County.
- Volunteer Advisory Board
- The Volunteer Center Advisory Board advises the Volunteer Center on different projects, assists with Volunteer events, activities, etc.
- Wastewater Community Working Group
- The Maui Wastewater Community Working Group (CWG) is working to provide enlightened, community-based recommendations to County of Maui’s Department of Environmental Management and Division of Wastewater Reclamation. These recommendations will assist the County in making significant strides toward achieving Mayor Charmaine Tavares’ goal of 100 percent recycling of Maui’s wastewater.
- Workforce Investment Board
- Our vision is to have a globally competitive and skilled workforce, which promotes and nurtures a diverse and prosperous economy and preserves the special quality of life in the County of Maui. The County’s Office of Economic Development (OED) has been designated as the grant recipient for WIA funds and is responsible for monitoring and oversight of the implementation of the WIA programs with guidance from the Maui County WIB. OED also serves as the liaison between the Mayor and the Maui County WIB on matters concerning WIA. The Coordinator for OED represents the Mayor on the State’s Workforce Development Council (WDC).