Solid Waste Division
is “To provide Public Health, Safety and Environmental Protection of Maui County’s Air, Land and Water Through Effective and Sustainable Solid Waste Management Practices, Resources and Dedicated Team”.
The Solid Waste Division supports sections including administration, compliance, planning, engineering, fiscal, refuse collections, landfill operations, 108 employees, capital improvement projects and permit reviews. The Division operates 4 county owned landfills, 6 closed landfills, provides residential refuse collection to > 27,900 accounts, 2,600 routes, and completes about 2.5 million picks/yr, manages > 20 permits and related regulatory compliance countywide, landfills >250,000 tons/yr and now processes > 25,000 tons/yr of construction and demolition (C&D) material.
SWD utilizes the following priorities for management of allotted resources:
- Employee safety
- Public and Environmental safety
- Facility, equipment and infrastructure safety
2nd: Regulatory Compliance/Environmental Protection
- Meet all state, federal and county regulatory requirements, permits, mandates and procedures.
3rd: Resource Management
- Meet resource management needs for personnel, budget, equipment and infrastructure to build and maintain reliability, sustainability and efficiency.
4th: Non-Safety, Non-Compliant Related Services/Programs
- Expansion of services and programs, refuse collections on non-county roads, non-critical programs, beautification, landscaping, etc.
The Solid Waste Advisory Committee's duties involve:
- Reviewing current operations and data to make specific recommendations for increasing efficiencies, diverting more tons, and limiting landfill risk.
- Building consensus among SWAC, staff, Maui policymakers, and State regulators to pursue one of a number of options that provide a healthy environment and service to the rate payer.
- Drafting a practical plan that is a blueprint for implementation
Programs and Services
Online Refuse Payments
See instructions and payment link below. Please note the vendor charges a 2.35% processing fee, and will be added to your payment transaction.