Long Range Planning Section
The Long Range Division formulates long range planning activities in meeting appropriate Department goals to facilitate the development of a desirable living environment through dialogue with the community and the application of professional planning principles.
The Long Range Division also coordinates long range planning activities with other county departments, state and federal agencies to meet the Long Range goals of the department and to maintain cooperation between the various agencies.
The Long Range Division Planning Section performs the following functions:
- Prepares updates to the County’s General Plan, including the Countywide policy plan, Maui Island plan and Community plans.
- Undertakes projects to implement the recommendations in the County’s general plan.
- Updates County population forecasts
- Assists in the review of community plan amendments
- Prepares and maintains official department maps
- Maintains the department’s digital land use data base
- Prepares special planning studies -
- Directs, coordinates, and prepares revisions to county zoning ordinances and regulations
- Reviews State land use legislation and regulations
- Updates the County’s Cultural Resources Management Plan
- Reviews County Capital Improvement (CIP) projects
The Long Range Division seeks to:
- React to changes implicit to socio-economic, political, environmental trends and other relevant community conditions
- Assists other Divisions within the Department of Planning in understanding and interpreting the elements of a long range planning strategy
- Initiates programs to implement provisions of the various long range planning elements such as community plans