A building permit is required for the construction, alteration, moving, demolition, repair, and use of any building or structure within the county.
- Building Permit – New/Addition/Alteration, Demolition, Emergency, Temporary
- Building Permit – Exemption - HRS 46-88 – Agriculture Exemption
- Design Registration – pre-approval of single-family dwelling plans
- Miscellaneous Inspection – request for inspection not associated with a building permit
- Certificate of Occupancy – Stand Alone – for a structure not associated with a building permit
An application for a Certificate of Occupancy associated with a Building Permit will be created as part of the Building Permit application when appropriate.
How to Request an Inspection
Depending on the scope of the permit and the location of the subject property, several approving agencies may need to review the application prior to final approval. These approving agencies may include:
County of Maui
- Department of Environmental Management
- Maui Fire Prevention Bureau
- Department of Housing & Human Concerns
- Information Technology Services Division (County Jobs Only)
- Department of Parks and Recreation
- Planning Department
- Public Works, DSA, Building Plan Review Section
- Public Works, DSA, Civil Construction Section
- Department of Water Supply
State of Hawaii
- State Department of Education (DOE)
- Hawaii State Department of Health
- State Department of Land & Natural Resources
Duration of Approval
Every permit issued by the building official under the provisions of this code shall expire by limitation and become null and void if the building or work authorized by such permit is not commenced within 1 year from date of issuance, or if the work authorized by such permit is suspended or abandoned at any time after the work is commenced for a period of 1 year.
The building permit and plan review fees shall be assessed as set forth in the annual budget ordinance.
- Emergency Permit Declarations
- Act 204 - Solar Water Heater System Requirement for New Dwellings
- Maui County Building Code Amendments
- Permit Expiration, Extension, and Refund Information
- Historic Resources Form
- WWRD Commercial Detailed Requirements