To manage growth in a sustainable manner that balances our economy, culture and environment. Quality service is provided by seeking efficiency and offering consistent and timely information with integrity and Aloha.
ResponsibilitiesThe Department of Planning offers technical advice to the Mayor, County Council and commissions; proposes zoning legislation; drafts updates to the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and Community Plans; presents reports & recommendations on development proposals; and oversees programs on cultural resources, census and geographic information, flood plain permits and other special projects and permits.
- October 22, 2019 presentation on Climate Crisis, Sea Level Rise, and Erosion by Chip Fletcher, PhD from UH Manoa/Honolulu Climate Change Commission
- Frequently Asked Questions about Maui SMA and Shoreline Rules
- Proposed Amendments to Maui SMA Rules
- Proposed Amendments to Maui Shoreline Rules
- Certified Rule Amendments for Chapter 19.30A, Maui County Code, Relating to the Agricultural District
- Overhaul of the Parking Ordinance (new Chapter 19.36B, Maui County Code)
- Amendments to Accessory Dwelling (or "Ohanas"), Chapter 19.35, Maui County Code
- 2018 Annual Status Report on the Implementation of the Maui County Community Plans
- 2018 Annual Status Report on the Implementation of the Countywide Policy Plan and Maui Island Plan
- Short-Term Occupancy List as of November 12, 2019
- M.C.C. Title 19 Zoning Audit by Orion Planning & Design, March 2018
- Lana`i Special Management Area Boundary Amendment Adopted Map and Report
General and Community Plans
- General Plan 2030 Opens a New Window.
- Countywide Policy Plan
- Maui Island Plan
- FY2018 Annual Report Opens a New Window.
- FY2017 Annual Report Opens a New Window.
- FY2016 Annual Report Opens a New Window.
Current Planning Division
The Current division analyzes and reviews development proposals including environmental assessments, community plan amendments, change in zoning, project district, special management and historic district permits.
Long Range Planning Division
The Long Range Planning division prepares the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, and administers special planning and cultural resource projects. The GIS section analyzes land development data and prepares digital maps.
Plan Implementation Division
The Plan Implementation Division Opens a New Window. is responsible for General Plan monitoring and implementation; Capital Improvement Program (CIP) reporting; and the initiation, preparation, and coordination of revisions to county zoning ordinances and regulations. This Division undertakes projects and programs to implement the recommendations in the Countywide Policy Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, including drafting and tracking legislation.
Zoning Administration and Enforcement Division (ZAED)
The ZAED division responds to zoning questions, reviews the zoning requirements for building permit and subdivision applications and handles enforcement of the zoning codes.