To manage growth in a sustainable manner that balances our economy, culture and environment.
Quality service is provided by seeking efficiency and offering consistent and timely information with integrity and Aloha.
ResponsibilitiesThe Department of Planning offers technical advice to the Mayor, County Council and commissions; proposes zoning legislation; drafts updates to the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and Community Plans; presents reports & recommendations on development proposals; and oversees programs on cultural resources, census and geographic information, flood plain permits and other special projects and permits.
- Adopted Digital Zoning Map for Maui Island
- Proposed Amendments to Maui SMA Rules
- Proposed Amendments to Maui Shoreline Rules
- Short-Term Occupancy List as of June 21, 2018
- M.C.C. Title 19 Zoning Audit by Orion Planning & Design, March 2018
- Lana`i Special Management Area Boundary Amendment Adopted Map and Report
- Proposed Revisions for Accessory Dwellings ("Ohanas")
- 2017 Annual Status Report on the Implementation of the Maui County Community Plans
- Lanai City Country Town Business District Proposed Design Guidelines and Standards
- Get involved in the West Maui Community Plan
- Ordinance No. 43 (2017) Relating to Amendments to the Commercial Sign Code, including New Standards for Drive-Through Signs
- Resolution No. 17-74 Relating to Short-Term Rental Homes on Molokai
- Kahana Beach Regional Beach Nourishment Feasibility Study
- Pali to Puamana and other reference documents
- Customers may now pay for permit application fees using a credit card. A non-refundable processing fee of 2.35% is automatically added to the payment. Accepted credit cards include Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.
- 9/29/16 Staff Report and Bill for Ordinance relating to Comprehensive Zoning Provisions
- 8/18/16 Staff Report and Exhibits presented to Planning Commissions regarding Resolution No. 16-93, Enforcement Procedures for Bed & Breakfast Homes and Short-Term Rental Homes
- Resolution No. 16-93, Relating to Enforcement Procedures for Bed & Breakfast Homes and Short-Term Rental Homes
- 8/17/16 Staff Report and Exhibits presented to Planning Commissions regarding Resolution No. 16-94, Ownership Durational Requirements for Short-Term Rental Home Permit Applications
- Resolution No. 16-94, Amending Section 19.65.030 to Establish Ownership Durational Requirements for Short-Term Rental Home Permit Applications
- 12/01/15 Staff Report and Exhibits presented to Planning Commissions regarding Resolution No. 15-112, Affordable Accessory Dwellings
- Resolution No. 15-112, Relating to Draft Bills Amending Chapters 19.08 and 19.35, Residential Districts and Accessory Dwellings
- Draft Bill for an Ordinance Amending Chapter 19.35 Relating to Accessory Dwellings
- Proposed Amendments to Chapter 2.80B, Maui County Code, Relating to the Community Plans and Zoning (PC-21), 11/13/15 memo to Planning Commissions
General and Community Plans
- General Plan 2030
- Countywide Policy Plan
- Maui Island Plan
Current Planning Division
The Current division analyzes and reviews development proposals including environmental assessments, community plan amendments, change in zoning, project district, special management and historic district permits.
Long Range Planning Division
The Long Range Planning division prepares the General Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, and administers special planning and cultural resource projects. The GIS section analyzes land development data and prepares digital maps.
Plan Implementation Division
The Plan Implementation Division is responsible for General Plan monitoring and implementation; Capital Improvement Program (CIP) reporting; and the initiation, preparation, and coordination of revisions to county zoning ordinances and regulations. This Division undertakes projects and programs to implement the recommendations in the Countywide Policy Plan, Maui Island Plan and community plans, including drafting and tracking legislation.
Zoning Administration and Enforcement Division (ZAED)
The ZAED division responds to zoning questions, reviews the zoning requirements for building permit and subdivision applications and handles enforcement of the zoning codes.
Subscribe to Planning Department News
When you sign up for this list you will receive news releases about Planning Department services and new application packets, administrative rules, and General Plan updates.