Purpose:Electrical permits are required for new Electrical installations to allow the County to regulate the qualifications of installers, check the proposed plans and to inspect the electrical installations to ensure they are done safely and in compliance with National and local codes. These requirements help to reduce the hazards to persons and property from faulty electrical work.
How To Apply:Electrical Permits are generally issued only to State of Hawaii Licensed Electrical Contractors for work within the scope of their license classifications
Electrical Permit Applications can be obtained from the Department of Public Works, Development Services Administration, Electrical Permit & Inspection Section.
Approving Agencies:The Department of Public Works is authorized to issue an electrical permit.
The electrical permit will be issued within 30 days after the application is deemed complete.
Duration of Approval:Effective June 6, 2010, all Electrical Permits issued shall expire if the initial required inspection is not approved within one year from the date of issuance. Once the initial required inspection is approved, the permit shall be allowed to remain active up to a maximum of 5 years from the date of issuance, or until the Final Inspection is Approved, whichever occurs first.
Electrical Permits issued prior to June 6, 2010 shall expire if the work is suspended or abandoned for 180 calendar days, and there is no continuous inspection activity.
Any Electrical Permit may be immediately suspended or revoked when issued in error, on the basis of incorrect information provided by the applicant, or when the installation, or the Permittee is determined to be in violation of the County Electrical Code, or any other law, ordinance, rule or provision regulating electrical work, under the jurisdiction of the Director of Public Works.
Fees:Electrical permit fees are based on the size and quantities of the installation and are set by budget ordinance.
Related Applications and Forms:
- Electrical Permit Application - Commercial
- Electrical Permit Application - Residential
- Electrical Inspection Request Form
- 1 set of Project Drawings may be required to be submitted with the permit applications. Depending on the Project scope and size, these drawings may also be required to have been approved, stamped and signed by a State of Hawaii licensed Electrical Engineer.
- State Licensed Electrician Information, HRS, Section 448E
- State Licensed Electrical Contractor Information, HRS, Section 444
- State Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (DCCA)/PVL
- 2008 National Electrical Code per Ordinance 3726 - New Maui County Code, Chapter 16.18B, effective June 6, 2010
- Energy Code, Ord 3685 - New Maui County Code Chapter 16.16A
- Outdoor Lighting regulations, Maui County Code, Chapter 20.35
- Maui Electric Company's Engineering Office, Phone: (808) 871-2390
- Permit Requirements for Photovoltaic Systems, Wind Turbines and Windmills
- Electrician License Enforcement
- Permit Expiration, Extension, and Refund Information
Department of Public Works
Development Services Administration
Electrical Permit & Inspection Section
86 West Kamehameha Ave.
Kahului, HI 96732
General Information Ph: (808) 270-7255