Grading & Grubbing Permit


A Grading Permit is required for excavation of fill, or for the temporary storage of soil, sand, gravel, rock, or any similar material. A Grubbing Permit is required for any act by which vegetation, including trees, timber, shrubbery and plants, is uprooted and removed from the surface of the ground. Certain exemptions may apply.

How To Apply:

Complete the Grading & Grubbing Permit Application and submit it to the Department of Public Works, Development Services Administration Division, along with construction plans.

Approving Agencies:

Department of Public Works, Development Services Administration.

Processing Time:

The processing time for minor grading or grubbing permit is 1-2 weeks. It is 3-6 months for a major grading permit. See permit information for descriptions of minor and major grading permits.

Duration of Approval:
This permit expires one year from date of issuance.


The fees vary depending on the scope of the project. Filing fees for grading start at $60 and for grubbing $100.

Related Applications and Forms:


Contact Information:

Department of Public Works
Development Services Division
110 Alaihi Street Suite 214
Kahului, HI 96732
Ph:(808) 270-7242
FAX:(808) 270-7972