Historic District Assessment
The Historic District Assessment (HDX) is intended to preserve the integrity of county historic districts no.1 and no. 2 (Lahaina), and no. 3 (Wailuku). The Historic District Assessment ensures significant historic buildings are protected and new construction is architecturally compatible. Assessments for the construction, demolition, relocation, and modification of buildings and structures within the county historic districts may be approved administratively (HDA) or by the Cultural Resources Commission (HDC), depending on the nature of the project.
Please complete this assessment if you are:
- Proposing exterior work on, or demolition of, an existing building or structure in a county historic district;
- Proposing new construction in a county historic district; or
- Proposing exterior work on, or demolition of, buildings or structures fifty (50) or more years old in the Lahaina National Historic Landmark (NHL).
How To Apply:
Complete the Historic District Assessment and submit it to the Planning Department.
Duration of Approval:
Non-refundable filing fee (see Fee Schedule, Table B) payable to "
Related Applications and Forms:
- Maui County Code, Section 19.52.020, Regulations on Buildings and Uses, Review of Plans
- The Architectural Style Book for Lahaina
- Draft - Design Guidelines for Lahaina Historic Districts
- Historic District 3 - Wailuku Map
- Historic District 1 & 2 Lahaina Map
- Secretary of the Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
Department of Planning
Current Planning Division
Ph: (808) 270-8205