Flood Development Permit
- Regulates construction in areas subject to flood hazards.
- For the protection of life and property.
- For the reduction of public costs for flood control, rescue and relief efforts.
- To promote the safety, health, convenience and general welfare of the community.
- Imposes restrictions upon man-made changed to improved and unimproved real estate within flood hazard areas.
- Qualifies the County of Maui for participation in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Required to qualify for federal financial assistance for acquisition and construction purposes.
- Required for the making, securing, extension, and renewal if loans secured by improved real estate by lending institutions regulated by the federal government.
How To Apply:Flood Development Permits are completed by a licensed professional engineer or architect, and submitted to the Department of Planning.
Approving Agencies:Flood Development Permits are reviewed and approved by the Department of Planning, Zoning Administration and Enforcement Division.
Flood Development Permits are reviewed and approved within 30-90 days.
Flood Development Permits are approved for the described work and have no expiration date, unless the FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps have been revised.
Duration of Approval:
Fees:See Table B - Fee Schedule
Related Applications and Forms:
- Application for Special Flood Hazard Area Development Permit
- Elevation Certificate - Link to FEMA Form 086-0-33
- Coastal High Hazard Areas Non-Conversion Agreement
- Certification for Structures Built on Fill In or Near Special Flood Hazard Areas
- Cumulative Cost Since 2009 Worksheet
- Floodway Certification of "No-Rise" Determination
- Coastal High Hazard Area Certification
- Elevation Certificate and Instructions (FEMA)
- Flood Hazard Area Certification
- Flood Permit Checklist and Requirements Chart
- Notice of Mandatory Purchase Requirement
- FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Maps
- Hawaii State Flood Hazard Assessment Tool
- Maui County Code, Chapter 19.62 "Flood Hazard Areas"
- National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- NFIP Technical Bulletins
Department of Planning
Zoning Administration and Enforcement Division
2200 Main Street
One Main Plaza Bldg., Ste. 315
Wailuku, HI 96793
Ph: (808) 270-7253
Fax: (808) 270-7634