Wastewater Discharge Permit
All significant industrial (non-domestic) users who discharge wastewater that is processed at the County of Maui's Wastewater Treatment facilities are required to obtain a Wastewater Discharge permit. There are six types of dischargers defined in the Maui County Code, Chapter 14.21A.105.
How To Apply:Complete either the Food Service Establishment Wastewater Discharge Permit Application or the Wastewater Discharge Permit Application and submit it to the Wastewater Reclamation Division. Renewal applications are automatically sent to establishments three months prior to the current permit's expiration. All establishments must pass a pre-treatment inspection prior to issuance or renewal of a permit.
A user with an expiring Wastewater Discharge permit shall apply for Wastewater Discharge permit reissuance by submitting a complete permit application, in accordance with Maui County Code Chapter 14.21A.100, at least ninety days prior to the expiration of the existing Wastewater Discharge permit.
Approving Agencies:The Department of Environmental Management Wastewater Reclamation Division is authorized to process all Wastewater Discharge applications and issue resulting permits.
Permits are normally completed within a week provided all required information is included in the application.
Duration of Approval:A Wastewater Discharge permit is valid for a two-year period. The permit indicates an expiration date and is non-transferable. A Wastewater Discharge permit expires at eleven fifty-nine p.m. on the specified date.
Fees:Fees are set forth in the Annual County Budget. The current fees are as follows:
- Initial application fee for first time permit is $10 for food service establishments
- A $120 fee is applicable for new permit issuance
- Permit renewals require a $120 fee
Set of Plans Required:
Approved plans of the facility are required to be on file with the Wastewater Reclamation Division. Plan requirements for a commercial kitchen are listed in the handout titled "Submittal Requirements for Commercial Kitchens". Contact Wastewater Reclamation Division with any questions or requirements for other facility types.
Related Applications and Forms:
- Wastewater Discharge Permit Application
- Application for Food Service Discharge Permit
- Oil and Grease Maintenance Log
- Grease Interceptor Appendix H Form
- Submittal Requirement for Commercial Kitchen Handout
- Grease Interceptor and Sample Box Notes rev. 07.03
- Chapter 14.21A GENERAL PRETREATMENT REGULATIONS of the Maui County Code details the requirements of the permit, current discharge standards and provisions for permit issuance, monitoring, violation penalties, etc..
Any questions can be directed to
Mr. Sonny Huh, Pretreatment Coordinator
2200 Main St.
One Main Plaza Bldg, Suite 610
Wailuku, HI 96793