Construction Permits & Applications

Building Permit Section

  • Building Permit (B, HB,) A building permit is required for the construction, alteration, moving, demolition, repair, and use of any building or structure within the county.
  • Certificate of Occupancy (CO) A Certificate of Occupancy is required for buildings and structures that meet the definition indicated in the Maui County Code, Title 16.26.109.
  • Hale Building Permit (HALE)

Civil Construction and Inspection Section

  • The Civil Construction & Inspection Section is responsible for overseeing site-work construction, which includes the processing of permits and inspection of work. The Section is also responsible for maintaining the County street addressing database, enforcing Community Beautification and Litter Ordinances, and the issuance of various permits.
  • Driveway Permit (D, DMOL) A Driveway permit is required to construct, reconstruct, remove or repair any driveway on a County roadway.
  • Grading & Grubbing Permit (G, GRUB)
  • A Grading Permit is required for excavation of fill, or for the temporary storage of soil, sand, gravel, rock, or any similar material. A Grubbing Permit is required for any act by which vegetation, including trees, timber, shrubbery and plants, is uprooted and removed from the surface of the ground. Certain exemptions may apply.
  • Moving Permit A Moving Permit is required for vehicles traveling on public roads whose dimensions or weights, including loads, or both exceed the limits set by state statutes.
  • Work Upon County Highway Permit (WTP) A permit to perform work on County highways is required when a County roadway will be dug up, undermined, broken up, or disturbed in any way.

Storm Water Treatment Best Management Practices

Electrical Permit and Inspection Section

  • Electrical Permit (E, HE) Electrical Permits are required for new Electrical installations to allow the County to regulate the qualifications of installers, check the proposed plans and to inspect the electrical installations to ensure they are done safely and in compliance with National and local codes. These requirements help to reduce the hazards to persons and property from faulty electrical work.

Maui Fire Prevention Bureau

The Fire Prevention Bureau works to abate fire and life-safety hazards before they can cause injury and property damage. 

Plumbing Permit and Inspection Section

  • Plumbing/Gas Permit (P, HP, GAS) The purpose of obtaining a plumbing permit is to provide minimum requirements and standards for the protection of the public health, safety, and welfare.

Subdivision Section

  • The Subdivision Section administers Maui County Code, Title 18, Subdivision Ordinance, which includes processing subdivision applications, and other related matters including, but not limited to, requests for private easements (over County right-of-way) and separate lot determinations.
  • Subdivision Application (SUBD, SUB2, SUB3, SUB4) Any person desiring to subdivide or consolidate land shall submit plans and documents for approval.