Out of State Transfer

You may drive in Hawaii with a valid driver’s license issued by another state if you are 18 years of age or older. If you wish to transfer your out of state driver’s license to a Hawaii Driver License, you must comply with the following requirements before the expiration of your out of state license:
  1. Provide proof of Legal Presence
  2. Provide proof of Principle Residence
  3. Complete a Driver License application that is available at any driver licensing office
  4. Be 18 Years of Age or Older
  5. Present Proof of your Social Security Number with an original Social Security Card that has the printed name of the applicant. Please note: we do not accept laminated Social Security Cards or copies of your card. You may also use one of the following as proof of your Social Security Number:
    • A Medicare Card in the name of the applicant
    • A Military Identification Card or an original DD-214
  6. Your out of state driver license must be cleared from all stoppers
  7. Pass a 30 question multiple choice examination. If you obtain more than 6 errors, you will fail the examination and will be required to wait seven days before you are eligible to retake the examination. The appropriate examination fee will be collected before the test is administered. Failure to pass the examination shall not be grounds for a refund. Please refer to Motor Vehicle & Licensing Offices for hours of exam issuance
  8. Surrender your valid plastic driver’s license that was issued by the other state. If you do not have the plastic driver’s license you may be required to pass the road test. The appropriate road test fee will be collected before the test is administered
  9. Sign a notification letter, addressed to the administrator of the out of state driver license bureau, stating you are applying for a Hawaii Driver’s License and you have voluntarily surrendered your out of state driver’s license. Upon complying and after payment of the appropriate fees you will be issued a Hawaii Driver’s License