Out of State Transfer
You may drive in Hawaii with a valid driver’s license issued by another state if you are 18 years of age or older. If you wish to transfer your out of state driver’s license to a Hawaii Driver License, you must comply with the following requirements before the expiration of your out of state license:
- Provide proof of Legal Presence
- Provide proof of Principle Residence
- Complete a Driver License application that is available at any driver licensing office
- Be 18 Years of Age or Older
- Present Proof of your Social Security Number with an original Social Security Card that has the printed name of the applicant. Please note: we do not accept photo copies of the Social Security Cards. You may also use one of the following as proof of your Social Security Number:
- A Medicare Card with the name and Social Security number of the applicant.
- A Military Identification Card or an original DD-214
- Your out of state driver license must be cleared from all stoppers
- Surrender your valid plastic driver’s license that was issued by the other state. If you do not have the plastic driver’s license you may be required to apply as a new applicant, requiring you to pass a 30 question multiple choice examination and pass a road test. The testing fees will be collected before the tests are administered
- Get In-line On-Line! Make an appointment at our Kahului Service Center, one (1) person per appointment.
- Road Test - Call (808) 270-8080 beginning at 8:00 a.m. one work day prior to the day you wish to take the road test.
The available services are Driver Licenses or Hawaii State ID’s and Initial Disability Placards.
Before making your appointment Click Here to see if you have the required documents for your Driver License or Hawaii State ID.