It is the responsibility of the license holder to renew their Hawaii Driver’s License prior to the expiration date.
All Hawaii Driver Licenses expire at 12:00 midnight on the expiration date. If the license holder is a member of any component of the United States Armed Forces who is on active federal service and whose driver license expired while deployed outside the United States, the driver license shall remain valid for ninety days (90) after the service member’s return to the United States.
You have the option to renew your Hawaii Driver’s License at any Motor Vehicle & Licensing Offices within six (6) months prior to the expiration date. All applicants must present original or certified copies from our Hawaii Acceptable Documents Checklist to prove the following and be able to renew their license:
- Provide proof of Name
- Provide proof of Date of Birth
- Provide proof of Social Security Number
- Provide proof of Legal Presence
- Proof of Principal Residence
- Complete a Driver License application for renewal that is available at any driver licensing office
- Pass the required vision test
- Payment of the appropriate fees. Refer to the Maui County Fee Chart.
- Submit a clearance letter from the Traffic Violations Bureau if the applicant has any outstanding citations. The Traffic Violations Bureau is located at 2145 Main Street in Wailuku. Telephone: (808)-244-2800
If your license has already expired, please refer to Renewal of Expired License.