Learn about the 2022 Charter Commission Proposed Amendments
At intervals of ten years, a charter commission composed of eleven members must be appointed, with two appointed by the mayor, and nine appointed by the council, with each council member nominating one of the nine members, to study and review the operation of the government of the county under the amendments or new charter and to propose amendments or to draft a new charter in the manner set forth in Section 14-3 of the Charter of the County of Maui (2021).
2022 Charter Commission Report
The 2021-2022 Charter Commission session concluded Its term in June, 2022. The Commission’s Final Report and relevant documents transmitted during the Commission’s term are listed below.
- 2022 Final Report - Maui Charter Commission to Maui County Clerk
- County Council Reso No. 22-25 CD1, FD1 – Proposing Alternative Amendments Relating To The 2021-2022 Maui County Charter Commission Final Report
- 2022-4-13 Letter to County Council Re Charter Amendments Alternatives
- 2022 Voter Guide Ballot Digest-Proposed Amendments
Agendas, Minutes & Documents
Note:*Meeting Documents are posted as they become available.
- Grant Y.M. Chun (Wailuku) - Chair
- Keoni J. Kuoha (Pukalani) - Vice Chair
- Kelson Kauanoe Batangan (Kahului)
- Doreen N. Canto (Kula)
- David P. DeLeon (Haʻikū)
- Paul C. Deslauriers (Kīhei)
- Karey K. Kapoi (Wailuku)
- Douglas Ward Mardfin (Hāna)
- Ashley Olson (Lahaina)
- George Purdy IV (Lānaʻi)
- Vacant - Chair
Meetings Schedule & Locations
Commission meeting dates and times are subject to change. Check this web site for changes.
- Commission Meeting Online Calendar
- Subscribe to receive email notification of meeting agendas and dates
- 2021-2022 Charter Commission Strategic Framework
- State Constitution
- Hawaii Revised Statutes, Chapter 50, Interpretation - Sherry P. Broder, Esq.
- Hawaii Revised Statutes (HRS)
- HRS §50
- County of Maui Code
- Sunshine Law
- Charter Commission Rules
- 2020 Guide To Government In Hawaii
- Laws Relating to the Work of the County
- Charter Amendments and the Election Process
- 2021 Sunshine Law Training
- County Government Powers and Recent Law on the Separation of State and County Government
- 2011 National Civic League-Guide for Charter Commissions
- Electoral System Design: Goals and Priorities
- Maui Charter Commission Archive