Short-Term Rental Home (STRH)
Purpose:The purpose of the Short-Term Rental Home (STRH) Permit is to facilitate the permitting of short-term rental homes in certain areas, subject to appropriate restrictions and standards; to allow for varied accommodations and experiences for visitors while retaining the character of residential neighborhoods; to allow small businesses to benefit from tourism; and generally to implement land use policies consistent with the County of Maui’s General Plan and the State of Hawaii’s land use laws.
Community Plan Region Limitations
Permits issued for Short-Term Rental Homes are limited for each Community Plan Region pursuant to subsection 19.65.030.R, Maui County Code. The Maui Meadows area of the Kihei-Makena Community Plan Region reached its cap of five and the Planning Department is no longer accepting applications for this area.
How to Apply:The application can be downloaded from the Planning Department's website. You may also obtain an application from the Planning Department at 2200 Main St. One Main Plaza Bldg, Suite 315 in Wailuku, phone 270-7735; or at the Current Division at 2200 Main Street, One Main Plaza Bldg, Suite 619, in Wailuku, phone 270-8205.
A fully processed Zoning & Flood Confirmation Form must be attached to the STRH application. Begin the STRH application process by filling in the project identification portion of the form and submitting it to the Zoning Administration and Enforcement Division at One Main Plaza Suite 335. The zoning and flood designations are confirmed and then returned to the applicant for inclusion in the STRH packet.
Approving Agency:The Planning Department is authorized to process most STRH applications.
Processing Time:It may take several months before an application is completely processed. Applicants are advised to make sure the application is completely filled out and that all requested information and fees are included. A checklist is provided as part of the application packet to help an applicant prepare information and documents that will be required.
Related Applications and Forms:
- STRH Permit Application Packet
- STRH Permit Renewal Packet
- STRH Sign Requirements
- 500-Foot Boundary Notification List & Map Instructions
- Short Term Rental Home Inspection Form
- Status of Applications for Bed & Breakfast Home and Short-Term Rental Home Permits in the Paia-Haiku Community Plan Area
- Maui County Code, Title 19, Zoning, as amended
- Maui County Code, Chapter 19.65, Short-Term Rental Homes (Ordinance. No. 4315, Bill No. 43 (2016))
- Ordinance 4830 Ownership Durational Requirements for STRH
- Permitted Bed & Breakfast (B&B) Homes
- Permitted Short Term Rental (STRH) Homes
- Permitted Transient Vacation Rentals (TVR)