- Emergency Management Agency
- Flash Flood Precautions
Flash Flood Precautions
Flash Flood DangersThe Maui Fire Department and Maui County Emergency Management Agency would like viewers to gain an appreciation of the power, speed, and dangers of flash floods. The attached video is an area very popular for visitors and residents resulting in MFD's response to rescue trapped, injured, overdue victims, or body recoveries.
MFD advises all hikers to:
- Wear brightly colored clothes so rescue crews can more easily spot you.
- Take adequate amount of water and snacks.
- Start hikes early and know when the sun sets (darkness). Leave adequate time to get back.
- Let someone else know where you are hiking and when you should return.
- Make sure cell phones are fully charged and take an extra battery.
- Be aware remote areas will not have cell phone coverage.
- Never dive or jump into ponds due to submerged rocks/ledges.
- Never cross or swim in streams/ponds when dark clouds are on the mountains.
- Heed all warning signs and do not trespass on private property.
- Stay on trails and pack out any rubbish. Leave only footprints. Never hike alone.
- Be prepared for sudden changes in weather. Bring a poncho, jacket. sunscreen, and mosquito repellent.
- Call the National Weather Service at 808-944-3756, Ext 2. Heed all advisories, watches, and warnings.
- Call the Maui County Automated Information Line at 808-986-1200, Ext 1.
- Check out www.weather.gov/hawaii.
Also Be Aware:
- Flash flooding may still occur even when sunny due to rain clouds higher up in the mountains.
- Newer editions of guidebooks have many safety messages. Read and abide by them.
- River rocks can be very slippery. Stay away from cliff edges. Be aware of falling rocks.
- Better to stay put than risk hiking in darkness.
- Hawaii's streams may be contaminated with leptospirosis.
Sign up on Maka'ala to receive Flash Flood Notifications from the County
Maka'ala – Maui County Emergency Alert System is a free service that enables you to sign up and receive emergency notifications. This service allows agencies dealing with emergency response to send out accurate and up-to-date information.