Information for Veterans

The County of Maui values the leadership, discipline and skills veterans acquire while serving our county.  We invite you to consider a job where you can continue to make a difference and enjoy the many benefits Maui County has to offer.
Where to start?
The right place to find a job with Maui County is  You can search for jobs and sign up for job notifications.

If you are interested in applying for a job, follow these steps:
Step 1:  Register online at .
Step 2:  Sign-in and create your applicant profile to apply for jobs by following the instructions at
Step 3:  Search for jobs that match your skills.  If you apply for a job, be sure to answer the Agency-Wide Question #4, “Will you be claiming veteran’s preference?” and attach your DD-214 to ensure you receive your eligible veteran’s preference points. 

Veteran’s Hiring Preference

Certain recruitments allow applicants to claim 5 or 10 points for veteran’s preference, as follows:
  • 5 points veteran’s preference may be awarded to honorably separated veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces:
    1. During the period December 7, 1941 to July 1,1955; or
    2. For more than 180 consecutive days, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before October 15, 1976; or
    3. During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990 through January 2, 1992; or
    4. In the campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized, including El Salvador, Grenada, Haiti, Lebanon, Panama, Somalia, Southwest Asia, Bosnia and the Global War on Terrorism.
  • 10 points veteran’s preference may be awarded to:
    1. A veteran who served any time and who (1) has a present service-connected disability or (2) is receiving compensation, disability retirement benefits, or pensioner from the military or the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Individuals who received a Purple Heart qualify as disabled veterans.
    2. An unmarried spouse of certain deceased veterans, a spouse of a veteran unable to work because of a service-connected disability, and
    3. A mother of a veteran who died in service or who is permanently and totally disabled.
Applicants claiming 5 points must submit a copy of their DD-214.  Applicants claiming 10 points must submit an official statement from the Veterans Administration or armed service dated within the past 6 months which confirms their qualification to receive 10 points preference.  Spouses or widows must also submit evidence of marriage and, as applicable, veteran’s death.