- Environmental Management
- Environmental Protection & Sustainability Services
- Metals and Abandoned Vehicles
- Junk Vehicle Disposal Assistance Program
Junk Vehicle Disposal Assistance Program
The Junk Vehicle Disposal Assistance Program assists residents to dispose of junk vehicles legally and properly in an attempt to reduce the number of abandoned vehicles on public roadways. If all eligibility criteria are met, registered owners will be allowed to dispose of one vehicle per year, at no charge. This program is funded by the Highway Beautification and Abandoned Vehicles Fund, a portion of vehicle owner registration fees, and will be continued until funding is exhausted.
Visit the Department of Motor Vehicles and Licensing (DMVL) to register your car as “Permanently Junked,” and then deliver the vehicle Hammerhead Metals Recycling
Complete the 5-minute online survey. Completion of this survey will help us secure additional funding to continue and improve this program. We greatly appreciate your participation.
To participate in this program:
- Review all eligibility requirements.
- If you are eligible, download and print:
- Where is the DMVL?
- Where is the Metals Recycling Facility?
- Are electric vehicles eligible for this program?
- My car is a commercial vehicle used for our business. Is it eligible?
- I only live here for part of the year, but my car is registered on Maui. Is it eligible?
- My car doesn’t run and has missing parts. Can I still participate in the program?
- I don’t have the title anymore, but it was registered in my name. What should I do to participate?
Please review carefully. If any of these criteria are not met, the recycling facility may charge you for disposal or refuse the vehicle. Vehicles that are refused and abandoned at the site will be deemed as “Derelict” by the Department of Environmental Management and will be disposed of at the owner’s expense, according to regular procedures.
Registered Owner Eligibility
- Registered owners must be residents of County of Maui. No commercial vehicles will be accepted.
- One vehicle per resident, per calendar year. The facility will keep a log of all registered owners who participate in this program and will refuse additional vehicles.
- Registered owners must be present to submit all documentation at the time of vehicle delivery, even if the vehicle is being towed there.
- The vehicle to be disposed of must be registered as “Permanently Junked” by the DMVL. Copies of the Certificate of Title stamped “PERMANENTLY JUNKED” and certified “Statement for Junking” form must be submitted to the recycling facility.
- Vehicles must be regular passenger vehicles, pick-up trucks, or vans up to 3 tons, at the discretion of the facility. Heavy equipment, mini-buses, and generally any vehicles over 3 tons are not eligible for this program.
- NO camper shells that can be detached from the vehicle will be accepted. Camper shells must be removed from vehicle or the facility may charge.
- Vehicle can have up to five (5) tires mounted or within the vehicle and no more. More than 5 tires will be charged or refused.
- Vehicle must be clean and clear of household trash, hazardous waste, extra tires, or any other excessive waste items. Determination of “excessive waste” will be made at the discretion of the recycling facility.
- Vehicles can be “wet” (containing fluids) or “dry” (fluids drained); operational or non-operational; and with parts removed or not.
- Electric or hybrid-electric vehicles are eligible ONLY if battery is removed and disposed of separately. Recycling facility will charge for any electric batteries that arrive with a vehicle.
- Visit a Department of Motor Vehicles and Licensing (DMVL) office to register your vehicle as “Permanently Junked.” You will need to bring the current or expired registration form, signed title, and license plates when you go to DMVL. Instructions and forms for junking a vehicle can be downloaded at the DMVL website.
- You will receive copies of the Certificate of Title stamped “PERMANENTLY JUNKED” and “Statement for Junking” Form from DMVL. You MUST submit these copies when you deliver your vehicle or you will be charged or refused.
- Complete, sign, and date the JVDAP Intake Form. Please write legibly.
- Make sure you have all the correct documentation and that you meet all the eligibility requirements. You must meet all eligibility requirements before delivering your vehicle to Hammerhead. If your vehicle is not eligible, you may be charged or your vehicle may be refused by the facility.
What to bring when you take your vehicle to Hammerhead:
- State-issued Picture ID
- Copies of your title stamped “PERMANENTLY JUNKED” and “Statement for Junking” form from the DMVL.
- JVDAP Intake Form completed, signed and dated.
- Deliver your vehicle to Hammerhead Metals Recycling located in the Central Maui Baseyard. Call ahead for hours and instructions. You must be present at time of delivery to submit all documents.
Hammerhead Metals Recycling
2000 Mokulele Hwy
Puunene, HI 96784
- Complete the 5-minute online survey. Completion of this survey will help us secure additional funding to continue and improve this program. We greatly appreciate your participation.