Cost Reduction Unit
The County of Maui, through the Department of Management, has developed and launched a Cost Reduction Unit (CRU) made up of a diverse group of dedicated employees with the task of addressing inefficiencies throughout all County operations. The mission of the CRU is to “ensure the best use of taxpayer funds by identifying and eliminating unnecessary costs and creating greater efficiency throughout our county operations.” The CRU’s vision is to work with departments and employees to reduce the overall cost of operations without negatively impacting the delivery of services. The activities of the CRU will be performed through a collaborative, cooperative and respectful approach, seeking input from all customers.
The CRU held its first meeting in January 2017 and established the basic framework that will guide the team as it works to identify possible opportunities to reduce spending and improve services. The team will initially focus Capital Improvement Projects (CIP), departmental operations and processes, and facilities but will expand into other areas as the team moves forward.As part of the CRU’s initial efforts to garner input from its customers, it has launched an anonymous online suggestion platform to collect ideas and suggestions from employees. The CRU will eventually open up the suggestion platform to the public as well.
To ensure best the use of taxpayer funds by identifying and eliminating unnecessary costs and creating greater efficiency throughout our county operations.
We will strive to work with departments and employees throughout the county to identify areas where we may be able to reduce the overall cost of operations without negatively impacting the delivery of services to our constituents. We will do this in a collaborative, cooperative and respectful approach. We will seek input from both internal and external customers. We will conduct ourselves with dignity and exercise the utmost integrity as we pursue our mission, goals, and objectives.
- Work with department to identify duplication and waste.
- Reduce operational expenditures throughout all departments.
- Establish a culture of cost savings throughout the organization.
- Track and report on our success using understandable and meaningful metrics.
- Develop target goals for the organization and individual departments for cost reduction.
- Work with department directors and staff to identify duplication, unnecessary expenditures, inefficient processes, and perform operational analyses for the purpose of cost reduction.
- Involve respective departmental staff in the overall activities of the CRU when conducting analyses.
- Develop cost reduction proposals which shall be weighed against both internal and external customer for positive and negative impact.
- Develop an annual schedule of CRU activities to include departmental visits, observations, meetings, and analyses.
- Meet with department directors to inform them of the CRU’s intent to conduct activities within the department.
- Conduct announced and unannounced site visits to departmental facilities to observe operations.
- Identify actions that may be taken within the department to reduce the cost of operation.
- Establish an estimated cost savings of the recommended cost reduction action(s)/initiative(s).
- Develop a timeline and strategy to implement cost reduction action(s)/initiative(s).
- Track and monitor the progress of cost reduction action(s)/initiative(s).
- Departmental analysis conducted per year
- Cost reduction achieved through action(s)/initiative(s)
- Average cost reduction
- Cost reduction / total operating budget (percentage)