Maui County is subject to flooding from both the Pacific Ocean and inland flooding from heavy rainfall. Being prepared is your best defense against such events.
What to do before a flood?
- Keep an emergency kit with supplies and rations
- Determine if your property is located in an area subject to flooding
- Purchase flood insurance on your property
- Maintain gulches, ditches, and pipes by keeping them free of obstructions from debris
- Protect your property from flooding and wind damage
- Meet permitting requirements
Make a flood plan
Have a Family Communication Plan for your family. Find one HERE.
|Did you know...|
|The 100 year flood does not happen every 100 years. The term has been adopted to simplify the 1% annual exceedance probability. Every year there is a 1% chance that there will be a flood that exceeds the base flood elevation (BFE).|