Build Responsibly and Protect Your Property

Although HRS Section 46-88 (also known as Act 203, 2013) exempts certain agriculture structures from having to obtain a building permit, if you are located in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) or located near a drainage-way or stream, you will be required to obtain a building permit. 

View the County of Maui flood hazard area regulations HERE.

Read Act 70 (2017) amending HRS Section 46-88 HERE.

Find out how to file a Declaration of Compliance with HRS Section 46-88 related to Agricultural Structures HERE.

Build Responsibly:

  • Do you need a flood development permit? Find out more HERE.
  • Are you located in the Special Management Area? Find out HERE.
  • Learn more about Special Management Area permit requirements HERE.
  • Think ahead regarding the path of water on your property during a flood event. If the water breaches your wall, will it be able to drain away?

Protect Your Property
Elevate your hot water heater and your air-conditioning unit.
Insure your valuables and store them along with your insurance papers in a waterproof container.
Waterproof your electrical items that are below the BFE.
Listen to local area radio, NOAA radio, or TV stations for the latest information,