The Recycling Section focuses on a range of landfill diversion and Zero Waste services and programming such as Recycling Drop Box Centers, Plastic Free Maui County, BYO Bag, HI5 for redeemable beverage containers and the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event held annually last Sunday of March.
The section also runs the Recycling Grants Program. Since 1990, hundreds of local organizations have received funding and other resources to help achieve Maui County’s waste reduction and landfill diversion goals.
Where Does My Recycling Go? When you recycle, valuable resources are kept out of the landfill and made into new products. To make this process cost effective, Maui County Recycling Centers only collect high-value materials accepted on the global commodity market.
Recycling Grant Program FY2024 (July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2024)
Estimated Funds Available - $500,000 (Subject to County Council appropriations)
The Recycling Section has partnered with hundreds of grantees over the past 30 years. Successful projects include but are not limited to landfill diversion, zero waste initiatives, education, equipment upgrades, program expansion, materials collection, and the collection and processing of waste resource materials.
- EP&S Grants Online Application
- EP&S Division Grants Guide
- EP&S Grants Information Session will be held by video conference on March 15, 2023 at 2:00 P.M. Email EP&S Division for an invitation.
- How do I find recycling information?
- Why can't we take containers back to the stores where we bought them?
- How should I separate and prepare containers and is it true that Redemption Centers may pay either by the number of containers or by weight?
- Why can't we redeem 2 liter bottles?
- When can we go back to crushing our containers?
Residential Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event
The annual County of Maui Residential Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event will be held at a Central Maui location on Sunday March 26, 2023. Appointments will be required, which will open March 1, 2023. Information on how to make an appointment will be posted on March 1, as reservations cannot be made before then.