The Recycling Section focuses on a range of landfill diversion and Zero Waste services and programming such as Recycling Drop Box Centers, Plastic Free Maui County, BYO Bag, HI5 for redeemable beverage containers and the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event.
The section also runs the Recycling Grants Program. Since 1990, hundreds of local organizations have received funding and other resources to help achieve Maui County’s waste reduction and landfill diversion goals.
Where Does My Recycling Go? When you recycle, valuable resources are kept out of the landfill and made into new products. To make this process cost effective, Maui County Recycling Centers only collect high-value materials accepted on the global commodity market.
Recycling Grant Program FY2023
- Recycling Grant Application: Round 1 is to provide an overview of the proposed project and applicants’ contact information. The Grants Review Committee (GRC) will score Round 1 applications according to the evaluation criteria located on page 3 of the Round 1 application.
- Recycling Grant Application: Round 2 is for applicants whose Round 1 scores are highest. The GRC will score Round 2 applications according to the evaluation criteria located on page 4 of the Round 2 application.
- How do I find recycling information?
- Why can't we take containers back to the stores where we bought them?
- How should I separate and prepare containers and is it true that Redemption Centers may pay either by the number of containers or by weight?
- Why can't we redeem 2 liter bottles?
- When can we go back to crushing our containers?
News & Events
Haiku HI-5 Redemption Center Temporarily Closed; County Recycling Dropboxes Are Still Open
Due to staffing shortages, the privately-operated HI-5 Redemption Center at the Haiku Recycling Center is temporarily closed (as of October 11, 2022). Other HI-5 Redemption at other locations, including Makawao, UHMC, and Kihei, may also be subject to unscheduled temporary closures due to unforeseen labor issues.
Please call Aloha Recycling at (808) 871-8544 for up-to-date information on the status of operations at their HI-5 redemption sites.
County Recycling Centers for recycling of cardboard, newspaper, glass bottles and jars, aluminum and bi-metal cans, and #1 and #2 bottles are still open daily 7AM - 7PM in Haiku, Makawao, UHMC, Kihei, Hana, Olowalu, Lahainaluna Road (smokestack), Central Maui Landfill, and Molokai Naiwa Landfill.
Residential Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event
The annual County of Maui Residential Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event will be held at a Central Maui location on Sunday March 26, 2023. Appointments will be required, which will open March 1, 2023.