The objective of the Housing Division is to create housing opportunities for low and moderate income residents through partnerships with community organization with the objectives of:
- Developing long-term affordable rental housing units
- Increasing availability of home ownership opportunities
- Developing special needs housing with appropriate support services
County of Maui's First-Time Home Buyer's Down Payment Assistance Program
- Applicants will be selected through a lottery drawing process.
- Applications are available online beginning at 8:00 am. If you require assistance or are unable to complete the application, please call the Housing Division Administration at (808) 270-7351.
- The completed application and credit-approval must be received by 4:30 p.m., Friday, August 30, 2019.
- The lottery drawing is scheduled for Saturday, September 07, 2019 at 9:00 a.m. at the Cameron Center auditorium located at 95 Mahalani Street in Wailuku.
- Click here to access the online application
- April is recognized as the National Fair Housing Month. Click here to read the proclamation signed by Mayor Michael P. Victorino in honor of the Fair Housing Act.
- Beware of mortgage modification loan scams! Click here Opens a New Window. to learn how to look for the warning signs.
- Act 48: The Mortgage Foreclosure Law. Click here Opens a New Window. for information on mortgage foreclosure options, presented by the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
ResponsibilitiesSpecifically, the Housing Division is responsible for the following programs and activities:
- Section 8 Rental Assistance Program
- Monitoring of employee/affordable housing conditions
- Administration of HOME Investment Partnership Program funds, which assists in expanding affordable housing opportunities
- Promotion of fair housing practices in the County of Maui
- Providing technical and financial assistance to facilitate the approval and development of affordable housing projects assisting low income families
- Secure housing rehabilitation loans and/or grants
- Monitoring the management of County-owned rental housing projects
- First Time Homebuyers Assistance Program
- Affordable Housing Fund Program
- Reviewing and monitoring of Residential Workforce Housing Policy - Chapter 2.96, Maui County Code Opens a New Window.
- Notice of Public Hearing Opens a New Window.
- Proposed Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan Opens a New Window.
- Accessory Dwelling Units Opens a New Window.
- Fair Housing Resource Information Opens a New Window.
- Lanai City Affordable Housing Project Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues
- Landlord - Tenant Handbook Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues Hotline: (808) 984-2400 ext 62634