The objective of the Housing Division is to create housing opportunities for low and moderate income residents through partnerships with community organization with the objectives of:
- Developing long-term affordable rental housing units
- Increasing availability of home ownership opportunities
- Developing special needs housing with appropriate support services
- Beware of mortgage modification loan scams! Click here Opens a New Window. to learn how to look for the warning signs.
- Act 48: The Mortgage Foreclosure Law. Click here Opens a New Window. for information on mortgage foreclosure options, presented by the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
Fair Housing Training Postponed
Out of an abundance of caution because of coronavirus concerns, the Fair Housing Training, scheduled for April 3, has been postponed. The training will be rescheduled at a later date.
Maui County residents who are interested in attending this training should still complete and submit a registration form.
For more information about this training, please contact the Housing Division office at (808) 270-7351.
ResponsibilitiesSpecifically, the Housing Division is responsible for the following programs and activities:
- Section 8 Rental Assistance Program
- Monitoring of employee/affordable housing conditions
- Administration of HOME Investment Partnership Program funds, which assists in expanding affordable housing opportunities
- Promotion of fair housing practices in the County of Maui
- Providing technical and financial assistance to facilitate the approval and development of affordable housing projects assisting low income families
- Secure housing rehabilitation loans and/or grants
- Monitoring the management of County-owned rental housing projects
- First Time Homebuyers Assistance Program
- Affordable Housing Fund Program
- Reviewing and monitoring of Residential Workforce Housing Policy - Chapter 2.96, Maui County Code Opens a New Window.
- Notice of Public Hearing Opens a New Window.
- Proposed Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan Opens a New Window.
- Accessory Dwelling Units Opens a New Window.
- Fair Housing Resource Information Opens a New Window.
- Lanai City Affordable Housing Project Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues
- Landlord - Tenant Handbook Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues Hotline: (808) 984-2400 ext 62634