COVID-19 Precautionary Measures
The Housing Division is open to the public. Please wear a mask and bring a pen with you. As an alternative to visiting in-person, you are encouraged to call the office for assistance.
To reach the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, please dial (808) 270-7751.
To reach the Housing Administration, please dial (808) 270-7351.
The objective of the Housing Division is to create housing opportunities for low and moderate income residents through partnerships with community organization with the objectives of:
- Developing long-term affordable rental housing units
- Increasing availability of home ownership opportunities
- Developing special needs housing with appropriate support services
- HOME Program CARES Act Eviction Moratorium: On March 27, 2020, the President signed the CARES Act into law. Section 4024 of that legislation imposes a temporary moratorium on evictions. This moratorium went into effect immediately upon the enactment of the CARES Act on March 27, 2020 for 120 days.
- Mortgage Help for Homeowners Impacted By The Coronavirus - Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Home Loan Banks are taking steps to help those impacted by Coronavirus.
ResponsibilitiesSpecifically, the Housing Division is responsible for the following programs and activities:
- Section 8 Rental Assistance Program
- Monitoring of employee/affordable housing conditions
- Administration of HOME Investment Partnership Program funds, which assists in expanding affordable housing opportunities
- Promotion of fair housing practices in the County of Maui
- Providing technical and financial assistance to facilitate the approval and development of affordable housing projects assisting low income families
- Secure housing rehabilitation loans and/or grants
- Monitoring the management of County-owned rental housing projects
- First Time Homebuyers Assistance Program
- Affordable Housing Fund Program
- Reviewing and monitoring of Residential Workforce Housing Policy - Chapter 2.96, Maui County Code Opens a New Window.
- Notice of Public Hearing Opens a New Window.
- Proposed Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan Opens a New Window.
- Accessory Dwelling Units Opens a New Window.
- Fair Housing Resource Information Opens a New Window.
- Lanai City Affordable Housing Project Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues
- Landlord - Tenant Handbook Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues Hotline: (808) 984-2400 ext 62634