The objective of the Housing Division is to create housing opportunities for low and moderate income residents through partnerships with community organization with the objectives of:
- Developing long-term affordable rental housing units
- Increasing availability of home ownership opportunities
- Developing special needs housing with appropriate support services
- Beware of mortgage modification loan scams! Click here Opens a New Window. to learn how to look for the warning signs.
- Act 48: The Mortgage Foreclosure Law. Click here Opens a New Window. for information on mortgage foreclosure options, presented by the Hawaii Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs.
ResponsibilitiesSpecifically, the Housing Division is responsible for the following programs and activities:
- Section 8 Rental Assistance Program
- Monitoring of employee/affordable housing conditions
- Administration of HOME Investment Partnership Program funds, which assists in expanding affordable housing opportunities
- Promotion of fair housing practices in the County of Maui
- Providing technical and financial assistance to facilitate the approval and development of affordable housing projects assisting low income families
- Secure housing rehabilitation loans and/or grants
- Monitoring the management of County-owned rental housing projects
- First Time Homebuyers Assistance Program
- Affordable Housing Fund Program
- Reviewing and monitoring of Residential Workforce Housing Policy - Chapter 2.96, Maui County Code Opens a New Window.
County of Maui's First-Time Home Buyer's Down Payment Assistance Program
- Applicants will be selected through a lottery drawing process.
- Applications are available for pick up from the County’s Housing Division Administration office at 2065 Main Street Suite 108, Wailuku, HI. Those unable to pick up an application may call 270-7351, or mail a written request to the Housing Division Administration office, to request that an application be mailed to them.
- The completed application and credit pre-approval letter must be received at the Housing Division Administration office by 4:30 p.m., Friday, January 4, 2019, whether returned by mail or hand delivered.
- The lottery drawing is scheduled for Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. at the Cameron Center auditorium located at 95 Mahalani Street in Wailuku.
- First Time Home Buyers Public Notice PY 2018-FY 2019 Opens a New Window.
- Notice of Public Hearing Opens a New Window.
- Proposed Housing Choice Voucher Administrative Plan Opens a New Window.
- Accessory Dwelling Units Opens a New Window.
- Fair Housing Resource Information Opens a New Window.
- Lanai City Affordable Housing Project Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues
- Landlord - Tenant Handbook Opens a New Window.
- Landlord - Tenant Issues Hotline: (808) 984-2400 ext 62634