Community Class Program
OverviewThe mission of the Department of Parks and Recreation is, “to provide safe, satisfying, and cost- effective recreational opportunities for the residents and visitors of Maui County.” One of the primary ways for the County of Maui Department of Parks and Recreation to meet this goal is through the community class program as it provides an affordable recreational opportunity for residents throughout all of the park districts. Private instructors in the community are used to supplement the department’s existing programs to address the recreational needs in this community. Classes such as hula,martial arts, tennis, and water color, are available just to name a few.
Class FeesClass fees are no more than $5 per hour for children and youth ages 18 and under and seniors 55 and older. Fees for adults are no more than $8 per hour.
Available ClassesFor more information about specific classes please see our Current Community Class List. If interested in any class please contact instructor directly for additional information. Participant Registration forms are available below to be filled out, printed, and given to class instructor.
How to Become a Community Class InstructorAnyone interested in becoming a Community Class instructor must first complete the Proposed Instructor Request Form and must also adhere to the Department of Parks and Recreation's Community Class Policies and Procedures. After Instructor request form is received and approved instructors will need to provide the following before permitting process can begin:
- Complete a Background Check at your own expense. Background Checks are done online through a contracted provider.
- A valid State of Hawaii General Excise Tax license
- A copy of a valid $1,000,000 (one million dollar) general liability insurance policy with the County of Maui listed as an additionally insured party. Address should read 200 High St. Wailuku, Hi 96793
- Current resume, certifications, and letters of recommendation
Forms and Additional Information (All forms need to be updated to new versions. Links should be made active for evals and Monthly report should be able to be filled out and emailed to Community Classes.)
- Participant Registration Forms
- Participant Evaluation Form
- Instructor Evaluation Form
- Instructor Monthly Report