New "Tow and Scrap" Vehicle Disposal Program, Starting July 2023!
Maui Island residents are now able to tow and scrap their qualifying unwanted vehicles at no cost when using the new Maui County Tow and Scrap Pilot Program. To use the program residents may call one of two county vendors to schedule a towing appointment from an easily accessible spot to the disposal facility, Hammerhead Metals, in Puʻunēnē.
Residents in Central, South, Upcountry and West Maui must call D&D Towing (808) 871-1185, and those in East Maui must call Maui Tow and Transport (808) 871-9184.
The resident must possess the Maui County DMV title for their personal vehicle and a matching government-issued ID. On the appointment day, the vehicle owner must follow the tow truck to Hammerhead Metals and submit the title and show their ID directly to onsite staff. For full Eligibility, Requirements, Instructions, Frequently Asked Questions, and the Hammerhead Intake form, click the links below!
- Tow & Scrap Eligibility, Requirements, Instructions
- Tow & Scrap Frequently Asked Questions
- Tow & Scrap Intake Form
- Tow & Scrap Registered Owner Checklist
Vehicle Owner Eligibility & Requirements:
- Residents may tow and dispose of two vehicles per calendar year with this program. The facility will keep a log of all registered owners who participate in this program.
- The vehicle title must match the ID of the vehicle owner.
- Vehicle owner(s) must be present to submit all documentation at the time of vehicle delivery.
- No lien holders may be on the vehicle title.
- The following minimum documentation requirements apply:
- Tow & Scrap Program Intake Form
- Government issued ID
- Maui County DMV Vehicle Title
- The most recent vehicle registration must have been through the County of Maui.
- Vehicle does NOT need to have current registration or safety check to be towed & scrapped.
- Vehicles for residential use only; no commercial vehicles accepted.
- The vehicle title must match the name of the identification presented to the metals recycling facility.
- If there is more than one name on the title, all named must be present at Hammerhead Metals. LIEN HOLDERS must be removed from the title before we can accept it. If all owners named on title cannot be present due to extraordinary circumstances, call the AVM Office at (808) 270-6102 to discuss.
- For vehicles in PERMANENTLY JUNKED status: You must bring the copy of the original title that the DMV stamped “Permanently Junked” on and gave you back when you had the vehicle transferred to junk status.
- If your vehicle is in STORAGE status: You must bring your original title that indicates this Storage “S” status
- Vehicles must be regular passenger vehicles, pick-up trucks, or vans up to (3) three tons, at the discretion of the facility. Heavy equipment, mini-buses, and generally any vehicle over (3) three tons are not eligible for this program.
- NO camper shells that can be detached from the vehicle will be accepted. Camper shells must be removed from vehicle or the facility may charge an additional fee.
- Vehicle can have up to (5) five tires mounted or within the vehicle. More than (5) five tires will be charged or may be refused.
- Vehicle must be clean and clear of any trash, hazardous waste, extra tires, or any other excessive waste items. Determination of “excessive waste” will be made at the discretion of the recycling facility.
- Vehicles can be: “wet” (containing fluids) or “dry” (fluids drained); operational or non-operational; and with or without parts removed.
- Electric or hybrid-electric vehicles are eligible. The metals recycling facility will accept electric and hybrid cars with electric batteries.
- Please let your tow contractor know if your vehicles DOES NOT have intact tires. We can still accept the car, but will need to plan to use special equipment.
1. Check your documents and eligibility.
Make sure you have the correct documentation, and that you meet all eligibility requirements. Your documents must be in order BEFORE the tow company arrives to pick up the vehicle, or you may be charged a fee and/or the vehicle will not be towed.
- A valid government issued photo ID
- The vehicle’s original title in your name
- Tow and Scrap intake form completed, signed and dated
- Current or expired vehicle registration (optional)
- Vehicle’s license plates (optional)
- Vehicle has no lien holders
- If the vehicle is already PERMANENTLY JUNKED: Copy of original title stamped “Permanently Junked” from the DMV
2. Book your tow appointment with the correct tow company.
This program partners with ONLY the following 2 (two) towing companies. If you use any other tow company that the one listed for your area below, then you will be responsible for towing fees. Each area of Maui County utilizes a specific tow company for this program.
- EAST MAUI RESIDENTS: call Maui Tow & Transport 808-871-9184
- CENTRAL, UPCOUNTRY, SOUTH, & WEST MAUI: call D&D Towing 808-871-1185
- When you book your appointment, remember than you MUST follow the tow company to Hammerhead Metals. Take into consideration the time you will need to travel with your vehicle to Hammerhead.
- Hammerhead Metals will collect your vehicle title from you directly.
- Hammerhead Metals accepts vehicles during their normal business hours, as follows: o Monday through Friday 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM (Closed for lunch from 11:00am-11:45am)
- First Saturday of every month from 8:00 AM-12:00 PM.
3. Position vehicle in an accessible location.
- The vehicle must be easily accessible for the tow driver.
- Vehicle must be near a driveway or roadway.
- You may not be able to participate in Tow & Scrap if your vehicle is in an inaccessible or difficult location for tow drivers to access. Call the Maui County AVM office if you have questions regarding the location of your vehicle before scheduling your tow.
- Let tow company know if there are no tires or if tires are flat.
4. Meet the tow driver during your tow appointment to review documents and procedure.
- The tow driver will double check your documents before hooking up your car.
- If your documents are not properly prepared and approved by the tow driver in accordance with the Tow & Scrap Program, then your vehicle will be denied towing and you will be charged a fee.
5. Follow your junk vehicle and the tow driver to Hammerhead Metals.
You must remain in possession of your vehicle’s documentation until you arrive at Hammerhead Metals. For this reason, you must follow your Tow & Scrap junk vehicle in a separate vehicle. Hammerhead Metals will take your documents from you directly before accepting the vehicle from the tow driver. Once Hammerhead Metals accepts your documents, they will then accept your junk vehicle from the tow driver.
- In a separate working vehicle, you MUST follow the tow driver from your residence to Hammerhead Metals in Kahului WITH all of your documents in your possession.
- You must arrive at the same time as the tow driver.
- Hammerhead Metals will check the number of vehicles you have disposed of under the County Tow & Scrap program for the current year. If you are found to have already participated more than twice, you will be charged for the tow and disposal.
- If you do not bring your documents with you, you will be charged for the tow and the vehicle will be rejected.
- After your documents and vehicle are accepted at Hammerhead Metals, you are done!
Your paperwork for your vehicle must be correct BEFORE scheduling your tow.
If you have any questions about the status of your paperwork, please give our office a call at (808) 270-6102 first to confirm your documentation. If you have special circumstances, for example with the vehicle in Junk or Storage status, please give us a call to confirm everything is correct and properly prepared. We are here to help!
Your vehicle title must be clear of any lien holders who are considered additional owners. You MUST have a new title printed at the DMV without any lien holders to use the program.
What if a vehicle owner is deceased?
You may be able to assist with the towing and scrapping of a vehicle owned by a deceased person. Per the Maui County DMV process, the steps to do this are:
- Obtain the Death Certificate.
- Fill out the "Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent" form, with a notary! You must bring the death certificate and show it to the notary.
Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent Form
- Once the Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent form is signed by the notary, then take this signed form, your ID, and the death certificate to the DMV.
- Have the vehicle transferred into your name into "Permanently Junked" status. This should cost no additional fees.
- Once the title is in your name, you can Tow and Scrap the car as normal under our program.
- Call us once the title is transferred to confirm your title documents are OK at (808) 270-6102.
Don’t want to schedule a tow?
You can still bring in your vehicle for disposal and “Scrap” your car at no additional cost at Hammerhead Metals WITHOUT using the towing option as long as your residential vehicle meets the same documentation requirements as listed in the Tow and Scrap program.
Do not qualify for the Tow and Scrap Program?
You can dispose of a vehicle properly at your own expense. Vehicles that are no longer repairable or must be disposed of, should be taken to a scrap metal operator permitted to take vehicles. Call for fees and instructions:
- Hammerhead Metals Island Recycling Ph: (808) 280-8844
It is a crime to dump a vehicle along the road, in a field or anywhere. The owner will be fined and will be required to pay all charges for removing and disposing of the vehicle. It is NOT free to abandon a vehicle. Do the right thing and dispose of your vehicle properly!