TRANSIENT ACCOMMODATIONS TAX (TAT)
ANNOUNCEMENT NO. 2022-01
November 21, 2022
TAXPAYER’S ACTION REQUIRED
Maui County Transient Accommodations Tax NEW Online Payment Portal
The purpose of this announcement is to notify the public of the Maui County Transient Accommodations Tax (MCTAT) new online payment portal at https://www.mauicounty.gov/tat/payment. Our current DirectBiller payment portal at https://secure.directbiller.com/db-payer-ui/#/login will be disconnected on November 30, 2022.
New & Improved Online Payment Portal
Effective December 1, 2022, taxpayers (including agents enrolled in our Bulk Filers Program) will be able to pay online using our NEW and improved transient accommodations tax payment portal.
The new online payment portal is serviced by Sturgis Web Services and in collaboration with Maui, Hawai‘i, and Kaua‘i counties to streamline the payment process, deliver greater functionality and reporting to taxpayers, and provide an improved user experience. Some of the enhanced features include:
- Creation of secure user profiles with user defined logon IDs and passwords.
- Allows users to register multiple TA accounts under a single profile.
- Accepts payments to three counties within Hawai‘i (excludes City & County of Honolulu).
- Provides search of State TA number during registration to confirm identity.
- Allows taxpayer to add, delete, or edit accounts under the registered user profile.
- Calculates County TAT amount, including penalty and interest, based on payment date.
- Shows taxpayer’s payment history.
- Reconciles the County TAT amount to the reported State taxable proceeds.
- Accepts payments from credit/debit cards, PayPal, and eChecks.
- Continues to waive processing fees for eChecks (free to user).
- Sturgis Web Services provides the highest level of security and encryption.
The new link to access the payment portal will also be displayed on the County’s MCTAT website at https://www.mauicounty.gov/tat. The last day to make online payments on the current DirectBiller site will be on November 30, 2022; therefore, please delete the link to their website from your Favorites bar.
As stated above, the new online payment portal will allow taxpayers to pay via credit/debit card or eCheck. A convenience fee will be applied to payments made by debit or credit cards. There will be no fees assessed for payments made via eCheck. Taxpayers whose liability for the TAT exceeds $100,000 per year are required to pay tax by Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and payments made via the County’s online payment portal will satisfy this requirement. As a friendly reminder, walk-in or mail-in payments are also accepted in our MCTAT office. For more information, please visit our website at www.mauicounty.gov/tat or contact the MCTAT Office by email MauiTAT or by phone at (808) 270-7637.