Coastal Zone Management Program
The United States Congress enacted the federal Coastal Zone Management Act in 1972. To comply with the Act, the Hawaii State Legislature passed Public Law 92-583: The Hawaii Coastal Zone Management Act of 1977.
The State law contains a number of wide ranging objectives and policies. These are intended to guide the conservation and development of land and water resources within the coastal zone in light of competing demands for limited and sensitive coastal resources. Hawaii’s designated coastal zone includes all land areas of the state and extends seaward three miles to the limit of the state’s jurisdiction.
At the federal level, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) administers the federal coastal zone management program and regularly evaluates each participating State's coastal management programs to ensure consistency and provide funding of coastal projects and programs.
To date, 34 coastal states have federally-approved CZM programs with NOAA first approving the Hawaii Coastal Zone Management Program in 1978.
At the State level, the Hawaii Coastal Zone Management Program was built upon existing functional state and county agencies that comprise the Hawaii CZM network. All agencies must assure that their statutes, ordinances, rules, and actions comply with the CZM objectives and policies.
The Maui County Planning Department administers County SMA permits and shoreline setback provisions under the Hawaii
Proposed Special Management Area and Shoreline Rules Amendments
- December 6, 2022 Maui Planning Commission meeting reconvened from November 22 (see item B.1)
- November 22, 2022 Maui Planning Commission public hearing agenda with document links (see item B.3)
- October 25, 2022 presentation to the Maui Planning Commission
- October 18, 2022 Workshop presentation on proposed amendments
- Proposed Amendments to Maui SMA Rules October 2022
- Proposed Amendments to Maui Shoreline Rules October 2022
- Updated Frequently Asked Questions October 2022
- Frequently Asked Questions April 2022
- Proposed Amendments to Maui SMA Rules March 2022
- Proposed Amendments to Maui Shoreline Rules March 2022
- Proposed Amendments to Maui SMA Rules January 2021
- Proposed Amendments to Maui Shoreline Rules January 2021
- January 26, 2021 Workshop on Proposed Special Management Area and Shoreline Rules Amendments
- Proposed SMA & Shoreline Rule Amendments community meeting presentation October 22, 2019 presentation on Climate Crisis, Sea Level Rise, and Erosion by Chip Fletcher, PhD from UH Manoa/Honolulu Climate Change Commission
- Frequently Asked Questions about Maui SMA and Shoreline Rules
- Beach Management Plan for Maui, June 2008
- Lanai Special Management Area Boundary Amendment Adopted Map and Report
- Maui County online atlas for shoreline access - with over 200 public access locations and their features
- Application of the Sea Level Rise (SLR-XA) - Guidance and Standard Wording for SMA Assessments