On every licensed premises, an on-duty employee approved by the director must be in active charge at all times that such premises is open for business.
The employee must:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Have successfully completed an examination administered by the Department on Liquor Laws and Rules of the Commission
- Obtained an Employee Approved by the Director Card from the Department.
All employee approved by the Director cards are valid for four years from the date of issue and must be renewed by re-examination.
Certification Exam (Online)
- Send a request to[email protected]
- You will receive an email from eSkill Assessment Platform <[email protected]> with a link to take the online liquor certification exam.
- Please allow 1 hour to complete the training and exam.
- The Department of Liquor Control will email you from [email protected] with your online certification exam results.
- If you PASS the test, you will be notified to stop by the Department of Liquor Control, located at 110 Ala'ihi Street, Room 212, Kahului, the following week anytime Monday through Friday between 8:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m., to pay for and receive your certification card. Please bring your photo identification used during the training and exam and $20.00 (cash or check) to cover the registration and certification card costs.
- If you FAIL the test, you will be notified to request another appointment by emailing [email protected] to retake the training and exam.
Required material(s) when taking training and exam:
- Government-issued photo identification. Identification must be unexpired, unaltered, and undamaged
Rules of the Liquor Commission and Hawaii Revised Statute:
- Rules of the Liquor Commission Chapter 101 (revised August 2019)
- Rules of the Liquor Commission Chapter 102 (revised August 2019)
- Hawaii Revised Statutes Chapter 281 (revised December 22, 2022)
Study material can also be obtained at the:
- Public Library
- Department of Liquor Control ($10 charge)
- Liquor-licensed employer