Direct Shipment of Wine by Wineries
Applications for direct shipment of wine permits will be accepted starting November 1st for the upcoming calendar year. A new permit application must be submitted each calendar year, as permits are NOT renewable. The permit number issued is solely valid for the listed individual calendar year and covers wine shipments made to residents of the County of Maui (islands of Maui, Molokaʻi, and Lānaʻi).
Only complete applications will be processed. Please review the checklist to avoid processing delays.
The sale and shipment of wine directly to a person in the County of Maui by a person that does not possess a valid direct shipment of wine permit is strictly prohibited.
To obtain a direct shipment of wine permit from the Liquor Control Commission, a manufacturer must submit the following:
- Copy of State of Hawaiʻi General Excise License
- Copy of Home State Valid Wine Manufacturer’s License
- Copy of TTB Manufacturer’s Basic Permit (include any/all amendments if applicable)
- Letter of Authorization (for 3rd party representation)
- Payment of applicable fee(s)
The holder of a direct shipment of wine permit may sell and annually ship no more than six (6) nine-liter (9L) cases of wine per household to any person 21 years of age or older for personal use only.
The permit holder shall:
- Ship wine directly to the person in containers conspicuously labeled with, "Contains alcohol: signature of person age 21 years or older required for delivery."
- Require that the carrier of the shipment obtain the signature of any person 21 years of age or older before delivering the shipment.
- Report the total amount of wine shipped to persons within the County of Maui no later than January 31st of each year.
Annual Report Requirements
- Winery Name
- Winery Location Address
- County of Maui Permit No.
- Contact Person and Information (tel., email, etc.)
- Name, address, and birth date of the purchaser
- Name and address of the receiver
- Product name, quantity (bottles/liters), and value
- Date of shipment
The Department of Liquor Control does not collect general excise and gallonage taxes.
For inquiries, please get in touch with the Department of Liquor Control’s Licensing Division via email at [email protected] or phone at (808) 243-7063.
For wine shipments made to the Counties of Hawaiʻi, Oʻahu, and Kauaʻi, please contact:
County of Hawaii - Department of Liquor Control
Hilo Lagoon Center
101 Aupuni Street, Suite 230
Hilo HI 96720
Ane Keohokalohe Highway, Bldg B
Kailua-Kona HI 96740
City & County of Oahu - Honolulu Liquor Commission
Pacific Park Plaza
711 Kapiolani Boulevard, Suite 600
Honolulu HI 96813-5249
County of Kauai -Department of Liquor Control
4444 Rice Street, Suite 120
Lihue HI 96766