The County of Maui Department of Finance is reminding taxpayers that Real Property Taxes are due on Aug. 20, 2020.
However, Mayor Michael Victorino has authorized a one-time deferral program that provides taxpayers with 60 days from Aug. 20 to Oct. 20, 2020, to make payments without penalty because of the financial impacts of COVID-19.
Taxpayers are encouraged to pay their bills on time, as usual, to avoid the standard 1.0 percent monthly interest charge for unpaid balances after Aug. 31.
“This deferral program helps our community cope with the financial impacts of COVID-19,” Mayor Victorino said. “Our residents and businesses aren’t penalized for not being able to pay the full amount immediately. Taxpayers are allowed to spread out their payments. My hope is that this will give taxpayers some breathing room to manage their finances.”
Tax penalty deferral details:
* The deferral only impacts taxes due on Aug. 20, 2020
* Taxpayers are allowed to spread out payments from Aug. 20 through Oct. 20, 2020
* All taxes due on Aug. 20 must be paid in full by Oct. 20 to avoid a 10.0 percent penalty
* A 1.0 percent interest on unpaid balances after Aug. 31 will not be waived; it will accrue monthly on Sept. 1 and Oct. 1
* Any outstanding balance owed as of Oct. 21, 2020, will be assessed the 10.0 percent penalty
Deferred payments may be sent to:
County of Maui
Department of Finance
Real Property Tax Collection
70 E. Kaahumanu Ave., Suite A-18
Kahului, HI 96732
The Real Property Tax Collections Office is open 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Its phone number is (808) 270-7697.
More information is available at www.mauipropertytax.com